Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Sister's Story

Hi everyone,
First, I want to apologize for reaching you through email form, but I want to reach as many people as possible.
As some of you may know, my twin sister had a seizure a couple of weeks ago. Tests showed a tumor and she had brain surgery to remove it. The surgery went really well and the neurosurgeon told us he was able to get entire tumor out. We received results of her biopsy on Thursday, May 14th: Grade 3 (out of 4) Astrocytoma Brain Cancer and will start chemotherapy and/or radiation in a couple of weeks.

I am writing this email to ask for your prayers, well wishes and positive thinking. Whatever you believe in, please keep my sister, Elizabeth and our family in your prayers. We believe in the power of prayer and positive thinking and she will get through this. This has been one of the toughest challenges we've ever faced, obviously, but my sister is the strongest person I know. Her spiritual and emotional strength is amazing! I finally was able to pull it together yesterday, and on a conversation with her, we both were calm and starting talking about the situation. This is what she said: " I am honored God has put me through this challenge. Only the strongest can survive this. This is why cancer is in the world and I will not be a victim." She is my inspiration and being with her gives me strength.
I told her she will have a million people praying for her, and she tells me she feels it already. She is so grateful for all the outpouring love and support from all our family and friends, and that is what is giving her strength, so thank you, in advance. That's is alll I am asking for: PLEASE PRAY FOR MY SISTER, ELIZABETH.

After the news of her biopsy results first hit, my first thought was anger and sadness. Then, I realized, my sister is still here with us. Some people do not have that chance. I had to remind myself of the things to be grateful for.
Here are a few things (of many) that I am grateful for:
* Thank you, God, for her seizure. That was the first sign of her tumor, and doctors were able to get it out.
* Thank you for our family and friends that have been so supportive through all this. This is what keeps her and the family going.
* Thank you for our boys: My son, Jayden (2 1/2 months) and Mateo (16 months). They are our strength and reminder of the future.
* And most importantly, thank you for giving her a second chance: It is aggressive cancer, but she can fight this!

Love,
Katherine

P.S Below is an email she sent out Thursday. Please keep her story going and thank you againg for all your prayers and support.



Hi everyone~

It has been a very emotional coaster ride these past 2 weeks. Many of you know that I suffered a seizure in the early morning of May 4th. The seizure was a result of a brain tumor that was removed on May 6th. I am doing well recovering from that but with cancer you can never be too careful. I will begin treatment as soon as possible (hopefully in 2 weeks once I'm fully recovered). I am soooo scared for what lies ahead of me but Pedro has been the strongest rock I can count on. We are committed to our faith and will only be positive through this. He already stood up to my huge family and told them he will not accept any negativity! I am strong because of him, and I am very grateful for it. This has been a shock and I will have lots of down moments, but we will fight through this. I ask for your prayers as we began this scary process. I am so happy for all your friendships. They mean everything to me. I love you all!!

No comments: