Monday, August 12, 2013

Baby News: One month old

Ava and Aiden are 1 month old! (Ok, I'm a couple days late on here).They continue to grow and are doing well. They feed every 3 hours like clock work. Day times are good since I usually have help from my mom, mother in law and sister. Thank God for that! Night times are tough because B is working so I will try to do all 3 feedings by myself. (That's 6 total!)

Ava: She is wearing size 0-3 months and size newborn diapers. She is drinking 2 1/2- 3 oz of breast milk and Similac preemie formula. She can hold her head up when being held and turn it from side to side. She will also close her hand when touched and grasp my finger. She is a really good sleeper and sleeps through most of her feedings. She is the calm one and I thought she was going to be my drama queen. Is the cutest thing to see how peaceful she is when she is sleeping. 

Aiden: He is wearing newborn clothing and size preemie diapers. He is drinking 2 1/2 oz of breast milk and Similac preemie formula. He left nicu drinking 35 mL of milk (30 mL is 1 oz) and is now close to 80 mL. He is definitely growing! He can hold his head up when being held and will close his hand when we touch it. At about 3 weeks, he started to have issues with burping/ reflux/ spit up. He is a great burper, just has lots of burps to get out. When he is ready to eat or has to burp, he lets everyone in the house know it. He grunts more than cries, but none the less it's loud. He does not sleep as well as Ava, mostly because of his burping issues. He has to be burped constantly! He is awake in most of his newborn pictures and that is not by accident. He is my little drama king. 

We love the babies more than anything! We are trying to take in every moment, as we know they grow up so quick! It has been an adjustment for all of us, even Princess. Jayden loves his little brother and sister, but wants 100% of my attention 100% of the time. He has been acting out, throwing tantrums (yay!) and doing anything to get my attention, which is usually not a good thing. He does best when I ask him to help in whatever he likes, and has been a huge help with little tasks around the house. 

The sleepless nights will be a thing of the past soon (very soon we hope!) but it can wear us out very thin. We joke about hiring a nicu nurse to do all 6 of the night feedings (we can dream right?!), but then we know we will miss out on the bonding time with them. 
We love our little family and as much as we want them to get bigger and stronger, we will never get these newborn days back. I remind myself to be grateful, as there are many couples battling infertility. And we know what that is like. There is something about reminding myself that someone would trade shoes with me any day, or night, for our little miracles. So, Lord, we are grateful for healthy babies that want to eat every 3 hours, even through the night! It has helped them grow to be beautiful and babies they are. 
Love,
Katherine


No comments: